I was born in Lexington, KY in 1983. I grew up in a well-to-do suburban area. Growing up I played sports and music. The University of Kentucky was right down the street from my house so I went to basketball and football games quite often. I picked up the guitar when I was twelve and haven't stop since. By the time I left Lexington in 2001, I was only focused on music.
I moved to Murfreesboro, TN in fall 2001 to attend Middle Tennessee State University. I began as a recording industry major. I was playing in a few bands and traveling every weekend. In 2003 I switch to the music program and graduated in Fall 2006 with Bachelor of Music with a concentration in jazz guitar.
This summer ('08), I decided to go back to school in hopes of attaining a teaching license and Master's in Music Education. I wanted to make a difference in the community and what better way to do that than teach young people? I still plays gigs all of the time and love to get out and have fun.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Mr. Yeary.
I knew you were dirty. I could see that Kentucky blue in your eyes.
Seriously though, I can totally identify with your story. I think that having a background in "rock" music instills a love and passion for music that can be invaluable for reaching children. Being able to reach children musically where they already are, and be passionate about it, can make you stand out among mediocre msuic teacher.
ugh, i would love to graduate now with a liberal arts degree or some sort of studio art degree and come back later to get certified. i love art and i love kids but this art ed program is DRIVING ME CRAZY. i feel like burnout is on its way. :/ i'm trying to fend it off. it was interesting to read about you, good luck in pursuing teaching! make friends with the art teachers at your school when you get a job! :)
i agree with jenna! make friends with the other special areas teachers, we need to stick together. i know what its like to already have a degree in something and then find that you should be teaching! it just means we're cool :)
Post a Comment