Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Technology in school

When I was going through the Kentucky public school systems, technology did not play much of a role in my education. The furthest extent of regularly used technologies were that of computers (usually one per class), overhead projectors, and calculators. While we did have some computers, they were not used in academic ways (i.e. research), but rather for designs and games.
Today, we as educators are faced with an enormous challenge: to keep bringing technology more and more into the classroom. In doing this, it is not for the image of our school, program, or classroom to look "on the cutting edge", but rather we should do this only for the sake of our students. Undoubtedly, students of all ages learn better if more engaged and technology is great catalyst for engaging our young people today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a smillar fashion. The schools that I attended also had very few options when it comes to technology. I'll agree that the computers that we had avaliable were for recreational purposes, however we were offered typing class. I am really glad our school offered that because it has saved me a tremendous amount of time.